Sunday, December 2, 2012

Santa? No thanks.

Every mom has their dreams. What their child will be when they grow up, what sport they'll play in high school, what their prom dress will look like (is that just me?) and so on. One dream I've been waiting for since last Christmas was Kennedy's first meeting with the big guy himself- Mr. Santa Claus.  I imagined what she'd wear (an adorable red dress with a sweet bow because she'd have SO much hair, little white tights and black shiny shoes). I imagined how she'd react to him once she saw him (she'd look up into his face and tug on his beard and just laugh). I imagined the first Santa photo (perfect lighting, perfect pose, perfect Santa, perfect picture). It was beautiful. I couldn't wait. My dream couldn't be any farther from the reality that was the nightmare of meeting old Kris Kringle.

Let's start with Miss K's day. I'd been so excited all day knowing we were going to meet Santa. The day was SO slow. When Geoff brought her home I knew we weren't starting off on the greatest foot. Her report card from "school" said she hadn't napped all day and the last time she ate was 12:30. Really? I pay what I pay for that place and they either A: hadn't feed her in 5 1/2 hours or B: forgot to write down the last time they fed her and since she can't tell me I had to go ahead a feed her before we left. So that was fun. By the time we finished eating Grandma and Grandpa were here so we had to rush getting changed.  It was COLD so bye bye dress- we settled for red pants and a cute Christmas tree sweater. No bow because Kennedy doesn't have enough hair yet so we used a headband and we tried shoes but she doesn't have her Momma's love for them and is constantly kicking them off (tear).

She cries the entire way there (yay) something she never does in the car and I just know- this is going to be awful. By the time we pull up she is sound asleep and we have to wake her up. We walk in the store and head to the magical land. I've heard nothing but great things about this Santa so I'm pretty excited. We reach the big guy and there is no line- awesome- so we head on up to him. The second Geoff put her in his arms all hell broke lose- I mean she lost it!

We took a couple photos but girlfriend was game over. At this point a good mom might've picked her up and left but no- I took a few more pictures and laughed. I'll be real honest in saying Santa wasn't a big help. He didn't talk to her or smile or laugh- he just kind of sat there poor old guy. After trying a second time I sadly picked up my screaming child and walked away moping more than she was. Her first time meeting Santa was nothing what I'd imagined. So I did what any mom would do- I picked the worst picture of her possible.  





It's not the end of the world I know- it's just the end of me believing I have the perfect child (but really I do). So she wasn't smiling like a perfect angel, oh well. We have a great story to tell her over and over and over. Plus- I have it on good authority that Santa Claus will still be making a grand stop at the Karr residence come Christmas Eve. And I did get one of my dreams right- Grandma happened to catch the only instant where Miss K wasn't crying but tugging on Santa's beard. So there's that.







No comments:

Post a Comment